Sunday, November 30, 2008

I will lead you along

D&C 78:17
Verily, verily, I say unto you, ye are little children, and ye have not as yet understood how great blessings the Father hath in his hands and prepared for you. . . nevertheless, be of good cheer, for I will lead you along.

The Lord definitely provides a more excellent way. Allow me to share an interesting experience my family has had this last month. When I started ICON, I was told that once I graduated, I would receive a better raise; however, once I graduated, the economy dropped. I figured that a raise was unlikely. This concerned me because now I had student loans to pay, and we were already struggling to stay within our budget. In addition, I became even more worried as I looked at my workload, which was becoming extremely slim. I decided that I should start applying for a different job, just in case.

When raises finally did come, I was informed that although I was promised a better raise, ICON had put a cap on all raises. However, I did have an interview with SDL the next day. In addition, I attended a tech expo, which produced little leads. During the interview, my presentation, which I had tried both on my mac and windows, did not load. Following the interview, I continued to send in my resume to various companies, but I was really hoping that I would get the job with SDL. A few weeks later, I received an email notification that I didn't get the job.

Prior to interviewing with SDL I had kept my plans localized to Logan because I didn't know what we would do with our house, especially during these times. I had thought many times that it would be nice to move out of the valley, but we had this house that we would either have to sell or rent. About a month ago, Catie's sister moved into our spare bedroom. A week later, she got engaged. Shortly after their engagement, they were discussing their difficulty in finding an apartment that would allow them to bring their dog. I was upstairs working on my presentation for SDL when I heard my wife say, "You can rent out our house for six hundred a month." Later that day she told me it just came out but she felt like it really was time for us to move. After praying, it was confirmed that this was what we were supposed to do, which is interesting because we were FINALLY starting to feel like we belonged in the ward.

I decided that it was time to start looking outside of the valley. I applied for a job with a company called Brainstorm, located in Provo. Then, I applied for a few jobs with Amazon. To apply for Amazon, I had to register with Monster.com. On November 14, I received an email from a recruiter for Brainstorm; he wanted to set up a time for a phone interview.

On November 18, I came home about a half an hour before the phone interview was supposed to occur. When the phone rang fifteen minutes early, I thought it was my interview. Instead it was another recruiter who had found my resume on Monster.com. He told me that there was a company called Cover Pools that had determined that I would work well for them.

On November 21, I received an email informing me that I did not get the job with Brainstorm. I also had a phone interview with Cover Pools. During the phone interview, it seemed as if they were ready to hire me right away. The recruiter and I set up an interview appointment for November 26.

On November 25 at 4:50 pm, my manager asked if we could talk for a few minutes. He informed that ICON was having a layoff and he had to let two employees go. He said that he had decided to eliminate the bench and system position, which was my position.

On November 26, I had my interview with Cover Pools. When I spoke with the recruiters, they told me that Cover Pools really wanted to hire me. During the interview, they only wanted to see a few samples and make an offer. I received an official offer, which was a considerable amount more than I made at ICON.

Don't worry, the fun doesn't stop here. On November 28, I wrote my acceptance letter, but decided to wait and see if my manager came to work so I could discuss my last day of employment with him (he was nice enough to give me two weeks, but Cover Pools wanted me ASAP). I had just discussed the matter with him when I received a phone call from my wife. She told me that she had had a dream that I someone was telling her to tell me not to take the job. This made me extremely frightened because now I had nothing to look forward to. I called McDonald's because I know they will always take me back. But the more I thought about McD's the more I didn't want to return there.

We decided to fast, pray, and attend the temple. During the temple we both received peaceful feelings about taking the job with Cover Pools. I am baffled about Catie's dream. Catie thinks that Satan was trying to stop us from taking the job because she was scared that I would be mad, and she felt horrible after the dream. I think it could've also been an Abraham and Isaac type of a test. Or it could've just been her subconscious speaking her fear of change. Regardless, I think this was an amazing experience and shows that the Lord will lead us in the paths he wants us to follow.

1 comment:

AdamandBetsy said...

Josh you continue to amaze me!! The way you walk in your faith is so amazing to me. I am so glad to hear that you guys are coming down here closer to us. I hope that all continues to go well for you guys. I am excited for you so start something new and hope that you are blessed with and in it. Let us know if their is anything that we can do to help you guys. We love you and hope to hear more about your new opportunity's.