Wednesday, August 20, 2008

I just read a very interesting passage from "As Long as I Have You," the last book in the Children of the Promise by Dean Hughes. As I mentioned in my last post, I've been trying to figure out what I should do with my life now that I'm graduated.

In this book, Elder Benson of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles is talking with one of the characters in the book, Alex. He asks the character what he plans to do after he leaves the military. Alex responds that he is unsure what he wants to do. Here is the remaining conversation:
"Well. . . I wouldn't plan too far into the future."

Alex thought he had heard wrong for a moment. "You Wouldn't?"

"No, and I'll tell you why. There's no way you can know all the things the Lord might have in store for you. Go home and finish your education. Prepare yourself the best way you know how. And then, when you take a job, work hard at it. Be the best that you can be; give your employer all you have. If you do something well, someone will come along and give you another opportunity. That's what always happens. And when that opportunity comes, pray about it. Ask the Lord if that what you're supposed to do. If it is, go after it. Work at like that's your life's ambition; don't just put in your time. If you do that, another opportunity will come along--and more and more will follow. That's how my life has always gone. When I was your age, I never could have imagined the things that have happened to me.
I don't know if this is something that Elder Benson actually told a service man, something he often preached, or a tool invented by the author. I believe in the principle of working where ever you are as if "it's your life's ambition." There is a scripture in that Doctrine & Covenant that says something to that effect, but I always have a hard time finding it again (feel free to comment if you know where that is).

Maybe this is my answer; I should just work as hard as I can at ICON until the Lord sends me another opportunity to pray about.

No comments: